Monday, June 22, 2015
Summer Favorites... (so far)
* I was crazy to think my family could or would give up on all electronics cold turkey. But there have been some pretty extreme (by typical American standards) limits put into place with very little push back and I am beyond happy and delighted with that! The two biggies being no electronics in bedrooms (at all, period or yes I will just shut off the wifi...) and no screens until your "list" is complete for the day. Lists are a combo of chores and boredom buster activities, see below...
* Cooking early in the morning as to avoid the afternoon heat is totally where it is at. This has us eating many cold style meals but no one is complaining. Some of our favorites so far have been; this Quinoa Salad, homemade Tzatziki Dip with pita and veggies, our favorite Bok Choy Slaw, curried chicken salad sided with green salad and sourdough bread, and a basic antipasto style meal with cheese, cold cuts, fresh veggies and corn on the cob.
* If I add 30 minutes each of reading, physical activity, creative pursuits and sunshine to the daily chore list I will be amazed what my girls come up with (reading both Steven King and Shakespeare, sewing, pompom making, baking, tons of biking, volleyball and basketball, and loads of general happiness).
* We may well eat our weight in popsicles (for breakfast, why not???), corn on the cob and watermelon by summer's end. More on our favorite popsicle recipes soon.
* Visits to the library has renewed interest around these parts, (free books, cd's and movies -- what's not to love).
* I will happily make exceptions to my "no cooking in a hot kitchen" rule for corn on the cob and canning.
I hope everyone out there is finding their own fun this summer, I'd love to hear what all you have going on as well. Take care and enjoy this lovely sunshine we are basking in these days.