Tuesday, April 8, 2014

What I Am Eating...

It has been all about the beans and rice for our family this Lenten season. After reading this post I was inspired to follow suit, I checked in with the family and they all seemed on board to give it a go. So here we are, about 2/3 of the way through Lent, and I am happy to report everyone is still on board with continued enthusiasm. I did discover quickly how far a pot of beans and rice can stretch throughout the week, luckily my family is totally down with leftovers. I also discovered that variety is vital. Though they are fine with beans and rice most nights, I need to break up the presentation a bit (they are not quite ready for the exact same dish night after night). So I have had a rotation going of our Costa Rican Black Beans and Rice, Homemade Refried Beans over Rice, Roasted Garbanzos, and tonight I'm experimenting. I caramelized some fennel, chopped up a couple small yams adding them to the pan along with some kale ribbons, black beans, a chili pepper and some salsa. This will be served over a bed of brown rice with avocado and goat cheese to top it off with. I'll report back if this is a success. In the mean time I continue to try and use up leftovers by adding a fried or scrambled egg and some fresh herbs and enjoying the new presentation for breakfast.

No comments: